Dog Bed

The blaze started in the kitchen in one of the upstairs apartments in the building. Karina Martinez, 23, a graduate student studying psychology at East Carolina University, lived in one of the upstairs units. She said she had gone to bed about 12:30 a.m., but her dog, a Doberman/Shepherd mix who sleeps in his bed next to hers, was restless and whining. She told him to be quiet and tried to go back to sleep, but then she started hearing noises coming from the apartment next door. It sounded like someone was moving furniture, and she decided to get up and go ask them to be quiet. When she opened the door to leave her apartment, she saw flames. A fire was burning the apartment next door, and it was spreading. When I opened the door, the stairs were already melting, she said.I shut my door, grabbed my phone and Riddicks leash. She called her parents who live in Jacksonville. At approximately 1:30 a.m., Saturday, Feb. 4, my family received a horrible phone call.

Dog Bed